Monday, 1 August 2011

Week 2

This week included 3 readings and each in their own right contained relevant and interesting material to ponder over. The reading 'A Short History of the Internet' by Bruce Sterling provided a retrospective view on modern internet use. Although the date by date history content while being factual was somewhat mediocre the fact that it was written in 1993 allowed me to compare the development and expectation of future development of internet services with what is actually happening today. Since the internet was a new development at that time it gives the idea that it is a privilege not a necessity and it is not taken for granted as it is in this day and age. The reading states that the internet is used for four things:
mail,
discussion groups,
long-distance computing and,
file transfers.

This is still true today yet these functions have been improved and expanded into other territories.

The second reading gets into the nitty gritty of sending packages and other magical stuff that computers do without us knowing. The explanation of the four dimensions answered the questions of what happens inside a cord when information is sent. I can safely say that with new words such as nodes and flows my computing vocabulary is starting to grow.
There is no review for the third reading as i am currently in the process of reading so comments on that one would be helpful.
Thanks for reading

2 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said about the reading published in 1993. I expressed the same views in my blog post as well haha.

    My computer vocabulary is also lacking and nodes and flows were some new words for me as well. It was also interesting how he discussed torrents in class. I never knew how they actually worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your opinion. The reading wrote by Bruce Sterling ‘A Short History of the Internet’ is too obsolete to read because it was written in 1993. The fact is development of internet was very fast in past ten years, world has big change since 1993. Indeed, the reason why internet still exists is because information on the internet updates everyday. I am very interested in your idea which is internet is a privilege not a necessity and it is not taken for granted. I think compare with tradition media and new media; new media has more powerful to impact people’s normal life. Because internet is not limited by geography, time and space, in a sense it is not limited by government.

    ReplyDelete